The things of this world, when they take first place in our hearts, slowly draw us away from Jesus. The more our hearts become filled with worldly desires, pride, selfish ambition, greed, and pleasures apart from God, the more our spiritual life begins to wither and rot.
As Scripture says:
«"Friendship with the world is enmity with God." (James 4:4)»
And:
«"Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him." (1 John 2:15–17)»
Everything we do outside God's will opens the door to temptation, and temptation, when embraced, gives birth to sin (James 1:14–15). Sin separates us from God and steals the peace and joy that Christ desires to give us.
Instead of storing up treasures on earth, let us use the things of this world to store up treasures in heaven by loving God, serving others, showing mercy, giving generously, forgiving, and living according to His will.
Like St. Paul, may we say:
«"Whatever gains I had, these I have come to regard as loss because of Christ... I regard everything as loss because of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord... that I may gain Christ and be found in Him." (Philippians 3:7–9)»
May our greatest treasure always be Jesus Christ. Let us seek first His Kingdom, knowing that everything else passes away, but whoever does the will of God lives forever.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.